Everyone needs a full amount of supplements and vitamins in their diet but the required dosage of supplements for women increase as they pass the age of 40.
Supplements and a healthy diet are your only sources of vitamins and minerals and you need more as you grow older.For middle-aged females who cannot always get the nutrients through their diet following are must supplements for women:
Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplements For Women
A multivitamin/multimineral supplement is most important natural supplement for women.It provides protection against heart disease and cancer.Due to alterations of hormonal levels at this age ,these supplements for women are also necessary for bones,breast and general health.Supplements for women must contain B complex vitamins as older women need more of B complex,as well as vitamins C, D, E and K. Folic acid is important for women of childbearing age as well as for women over.
- Vitamin C (200 mg)
- Vitamin E (400 IU of mixed tocopherols),
- Mixed Carotenes (15,000 IU)
- Selenium (200 mcg)
- Folic acid (400 mcg other B vitamins .Make sure it doesn’t contain iron as most women don’t need extra, especially if they’re postmenopausal.
- vitamin A(carotenes), C and E are antioxidant vitamins and helps repair damage from free radical oxidation.
- Vitamin D3:Women should take about 2,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily. Studies link deficiency to a higher risk of osteoporosis, hypertension, rheumatoid arthritis, and some cancers.
Calcium For Women
Calcium is vital to bone strength which becomes more of an issue after menopause.Women should take 500 mg daily of calcium citrate, which helps build and maintain strong bones, lower blood pressure, and ease PMS symptoms.
Along with above women supplements finally , I recommend up to 2 g a day of fish oil that contains a mix of EPA and DHA, two omega-3 fatty acids critical for heart and brain health.
Try including in your diet foods known to be good sources of the vitamins you need.